skip to Main Content
Bowl of raisins sitting on a table

For most, it seems unbelievable that raisins can be poisonous to dogs. After all, they are harmless to humans. In addition, many of us have seen dogs eat a raisin or two and be completely fine. But, can dogs eat raisins? Are they really poisonous?

Can Dogs Eat Raisins?

No, dogs cannot eat raisins. The toxic substance within raisins is unknown, but this fruit can cause kidney failure. Until the research community has a better understanding of the toxicity in raisins, it’s best to avoid feeding your dog raisins, and grapes for that matter.

Unfortunately, raisin toxicity can be fatal. Ingesting the dried fruit could lead to acute kidney failure in dogs. According to the Animal Poison Control Center (ASPCA), they receive over 3,000 calls involving raisins or grapes per year.

Signs and Symptoms of Raisin Poisoning

Toxic ingestion is different for every dog, but there are a few common signs you can look for if you suspect your dog has ingested raisins.

  • Dehydration
  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy or weakness
  • Abdominal pain (tender when touched)
  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Increased thirst or urine production
  • Kidney failure (can be fatal)

What to Do If Your Dog Eats Raisins

If your dog ingests raisins, treatment could be critical. Contact your veterinarian immediately. They may suggest you induce vomiting as soon as possible. However, you should refrain from inducing vomiting if your dog is having trouble breathing, or exhibits signs of distress.

This Post Has 0 Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back To Top