With their stunning blue eyes and beautiful coats, Siberian Huskies have become iconic in the dog world. Husky dog names are often some of the best you’ll hear. Whether you’re looking for Alaskan sled dog Husky names or popular Russian dog names, we have it on this list. We’ve included male Husky names and female Husky names alike. Here are some of the best Husky names of 2018.
Before we get started we should look at the ground rules for naming a dog. Try to avoid names that sound like one of your verbal commands. For example, it could be difficult to teach “Shae” to “Stay”. Be sure to choose a name you like. Something that rolls off the tongue and can be spoken confidently in public. One or two syllables is best. Take the name for a test drive. If your dog isn’t responding to the name you chose, it may be best to try a different name.
Alaskan Dog Names for Huskies
We’ll start with Husky names that were inspired by Alaskan culture. Since Huskies have been pulling sleds in Alaska since the early 1900s, some of the best Huskie names around hail from this beautiful region.
- Alpine – Relating to tall mountains
- Aurora – Aurora borealis, or the Northern Lights
- Frosty – A classic choice
- Glacier – Relating to Glacier formations
- Juno/Juneau – The capital of Alaska, also the name of a Roman Goddess
- Polar – Referring to the northern orientation of Alaska
- Snow – Another classic choice
- Timber – Relating to Alaskan land
- Tundra – Describes the terrain in northern Alaska
- Winter – Another classic Husky name
- Yukon – The Canadian province that rests east of Alaska
Sled Dog Racing Husky Names
Here are some of the best Husky names inspired by the sport of sled dog racing.
- Balto – A famous sled dog known for leading a heroic medicine delivery mission to the town of Nome
- Atlas – A book of maps or charts
- Blitz – A sudden, energetic, and focused name
- Buck – The sled dog at the center of the famous novel, “The Call of the Wild”
- Comet – A celestial object consisting of a nucleus of ice
- Racer – An animal bred or designed especially for racing
- Togo – Another sled dog that accompanied Balto on their heroic medicine delivery mission to Nome
- Bear – Capable of bearing the weight of the pack
- Scout – A resourceful leader sent out to gather information
Native Language Husky Names
Perhaps you’re looking for a more human-based Husky name. Here are some of the best Husky names based on the language of Alaska natives:
- Akira – Intelligent
- Desna – Boss
- Miska – Little bear
- Nanuk – Polar bear
- Sesi – Snow
- Suka – Fast
Russian Dog Names for Huskies
Siberian Huskies originated in Siberia, which is part of current day Russia. Many Russian names have become staples for this historic breed. Intertwined with Russian culture, Huskies are often named after powerful Russian figures of history. Perhaps you’d prefer one of these bold, popular Russian dog names:
- Anastasia – A classic, female Russian dog name
- Ivan – A strong, male Russian dog name after Ivan the Great
- Nika/Niko – A playful Russian dog name fit for playful Huskies
- Rodion – A hardy and powerful, male Russian dog name
- Viktor/Viktoria – Russian Husky names meaning “victory”
- Zhanna – A mighty Russian name for a female Husky dog
Husky Names with Blue Eyes
- Blue – After the classic blue color of some Huskies’ eyes
- Electra – After the stunning electric blue of some Huskies’ eyes
Female Husky Names
Here are a few good female Husky names.
- Blaze – The first to do something; pioneer
- Qana – An lovely Inuit word meaning falling snow
- Terra – Latin for earth
- Bella – A beautiful dancer
- Nala – A loving name for a female Husky
- Xena – A powerful female Husky name
Male Husky Names
- Blazer – As in trailblazer
- Saber – Relating to the saber-toothed tiger
Hopefully, this list helped you narrow down your Siberian Husky name search. If not, be patient with the process and be sure to pick a name you’re comfortable repeating in public. If you still can’t find the perfect name for your Husky, check out the American Kennel Club’s dog naming tool.
What’s your Husky’s name? Share in the comments below.